Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Swiss Alps-5/16

Today was one of the best days of my life!!! I never imagined that I would be overlooking a mountain and observing Switzerland from above the clouds. What excited me the most was how spur of the moment it was! We had only planned it the night before, whereas most people who visit the Swiss Alps plan it months an advance. You can never put a price on experience. 160 dollars for the day was a bargain. We started off our journey to the alps on an early train, 8:35 AM! The train to Lucerne was breathtaking, it was the Switzerland scene that I have been waiting to see- bright green fields, small wooden houses with chopped logs piled high; it was like nature's own flip book. The gondola ride up to the base of the mountain reminded me a lot of my hometown in Colorado- it made me feel incredibly nostalgic. When we got there, it was very foggy, but that did not take away from the incredible elated feeling I had; Just the fact that I was at the Swiss Alps was enough for me to be happy. 
We then had lunch, I wound up paying 5 franks for a salad because we had a 10$ voucher for a meal. The most incredible part of the day was when we finished lunch, looked out the window, and saw nothing but blue skies. After we basked in the new weather, I saw the Alps in a completely different light. I teared up on the edge of the rail; the rail that felt like the edge of the top of the world! Never before have I been above the clouds(apart from a plane). 
The trolly down the mountain was an amazing adventure as well, and so was the boat ride back. If it were not for the boat ride, I would have never experienced Switzerland In the same way as I did. There is something about being In the middle of open waters that gives life and land a different perspective! We saw incredible Medieval castles high up on the mountains, it was like something out of a movie. Today made me see Switzerland in an entirely different way; it was the Switzerland that I was dying to see, and I did. Today was one of the best days of my life! Now it's time for Austria!


No comments:

Post a Comment